• Chris Hoy's (Olympian) choice of nutrition: Science in Sport• For BEFORE & DURING your long tour & rides• Put down the coffee & opt for a caffeine boosting gel
Why do I need endurance nutrition? Granted, GetGeared might not seem like the place you'd go to for sport nutrition. But, there's a very good reason that Science in Sport products can be bought from us. It's the simple fact that touring, be that across England, Europe or further afield, puts an enormous strain on your body. There's three nutritional stages that when followed means that your body can perform at it's best.
The three stages of nutrition:
• Stage One: HYDRATION and STORED ENERGY
Water and energy is the key to the best performance, providing your body with energy that it can store means you can use it as you're riding across rough terrain. Using electrolytes your body can absorb vital vitamins such as sodium, potassium, magnesium and calcium. Our bodies are 60% water and if you find that you're thirsty before you've left you're already dehydrated. Coffee may go hand in hand with biking, pit stops for a cuppa at a road-side cafe, but coffee is a diuretic, which means you'll need to go to the toilet, which will dehydrate you.
• Stage Two: IMMEDIATE ENERGY
Once you've started riding, you'll be sweating, possibly fighting with the bike across rough terrain and making decisions on roads that may be unfamiliar. Water loss can cause a 20% reduction in decision making, which is vital when you're in control of a bike. Isotonic products provide immediate energy and the ones we have selected aren't sugar based, which will stop an after boost crash.
• Stage Three: RECOVERY
Once you've pulled up at the campsite or hotel for the night, you'll feel drained. Both physically and mentally from pure concentration on the road. Your body has broken down muscle and used all the energy you had stored. Replacing this using proteins such as bars or recovery drinks means that you'll wake up in the morning fresh and ready to go on your next adventure.
What stage is this product? The SiS caffeine gel is ideal for STAGE ONE and STAGE TWO. Caffeine is proven to enhance physical and mental performance, if you really were thinking about that coffee at the road side, take this instead!
• The GO Energy Caffeine Gel in Double Espresso flavour delivers a rapid supply of easily digestible carbohydrates (22 grams per gel) for energy but also, provides a huge 150mg of caffeine per gel
• The addition of caffeine has been repeatedly shown by sport scientists to improve performance by providing both a physical & mental boost just when we need it
• The uprated 150 mg caffeine boost improves reaction times & lowers the perception of effort for a given workload, thus making the exercise now seem easier
• Use before or during your sport for that added physical & mental edge