• Chris Hoy's (Olympian) choice of nutrition: Science in Sport• For AFTER your long tour & rides, to help you recover• Provides everything you need for your body to recover
Why do I need endurance nutrition? Granted, GetGeared might not seem like the place you'd go to for sport nutrition. But, there's a very good reason that Science in Sport products can be bought from us. It's the simple fact that touring, be that across England, Europe or further afield, puts an enormous strain on your body. There's three nutritional stages that when followed means that your body can perform at it's best.
The three stages of nutrition:
• Stage One: HYDRATION and STORED ENERGY
Water and energy is the key to the best performance, providing your body with energy that it can store means you can use it as you're riding across rough terrain. Using electrolytes your body can absorb vital vitamins such as sodium, potassium, magnesium and calcium. Our bodies are 60% water and if you find that you're thirsty before you've left you're already dehydrated. Coffee may go hand in hand with biking, pit stops for a cuppa at a road-side cafe, but coffee is a diuretic, which means you'll need to go to the toilet, which will dehydrate you.
• Stage Two: IMMEDIATE ENERGY
Once you've started riding, you'll be sweating, possibly fighting with the bike across rough terrain and making decisions on roads that may be unfamiliar. Water loss can cause a 20% reduction in decision making, which is vital when you're in control of a bike. Isotonic products provide immediate energy and the ones we have selected aren't sugar based, which will stop an after boost crash.
• Stage Three: RECOVERY
Once you've pulled up at the campsite or hotel for the night, you'll feel drained. Both physically and mentally from pure concentration on the road. Your body has broken down muscle and used all the energy you had stored. Replacing this using proteins such as bars or recovery drinks means that you'll wake up in the morning fresh and ready to go on your next adventure.
What stage is this product? The SiS rapid recovery drink is ideal for STAGE THREE. Aids in rebuilding muscle tissue after a long day on the road, mix with water & drink immediately after you've stopped riding. Soy protein formulation, ideal for those with a lactose intolerance, easy on the stomach with a flavour for everyone
• When you are in a training programme & need your body to adapt to increasing demands, you need to consider your recovery
• REGO Rapid is a full spectrum recovery product for periods of intense training
• Containing an optimal protein serving size of 20g with 2g of leucine helps to promote the rebuilding of muscle tissue after hard exercise
• Soy protein formulation is ideal for lactose intolerant individuals
• Mix with water & use immediately after exercise to help your body adapt to the increased training demands
• Range of flavours means there is something for everyone, plus it's easy on the stomach